Tuesday, January 29, 2008

The one with the dawning of the aged rodent



It was amazing just how bad bad karaoke can be.

It was Meghan's birthday, and I guess mine too, so we went to the Chatterbox. Good times were had by most, maybe even all.

Despite the karaoke. There was a tableful of regulars who dominated the singing, and none of them were any good. And they weren't bad in a good way, they were just bland with no personality. For example, some mousy girl sang Leonard Cohen's Everybody Knows, which the New York Times described as "a bleak prophecy about the end of the world as we know it" and which at the bar sounded like an instructional video for convenience store employees.

The worst performance was some death metal dude, at the end of which the karaoke guy said, and I quote, "Jesus Christ." I got some video, but with my crappy handheld point-and-shoot they're kind of dark and you can't really hear that well...I'll see if I can find a way to make them watchable.

I think the karaoke dude was really happy when John came back. He was the only member of our party to perform, and we all waited around for him to come back because he rocks. And he rocked. Yes John, we should Get It On.

Pictures are here, including some friends with different sized heads, Jillie O, some interesting random karaokeers, and pictures of me.

ta,
sg

No comments: