Tuesday, June 05, 2007

The one where I spent time with people

My second night in Nungwi, on Zanzibar island, I walked into the restaurant at the same time as another guy who was alone. There was one table left overlooking the water, so we ate together. He's Andre, from California, traveling with girlfriend Nushin but she wasn't feeling well.

I traveled a bit with them (and with Nushin's cousin, Rona(sp?)). We were in the same van back to Stone Town, stayed in the same places (or together) in Stone Town and Dar Es Salaam, and rode the bus to Arusha together--they'll be working here for a coupla months while law student Nushin interns at the International Criminal Tribunal for Rwanda (ICTR).

My first night in Arusha I stayed at a campground. I was the only person there. And, in fact, I was the first person to sign the registration book since April 9. So after a day I moved to a hotel across town. My room is essentially a closet, but it's really clean, the bathrooms are really clean, there's free breakfast at the pretty decent bar/restaurant on the roof, and it costs $5 per night.

Since we got to Arusha I've run into Andre and/or Nushin basically everywhere I go. And then yesterday I walked into a cafe and a guy who sorta looked familiar said "Hey, I know you from Upper Hill in Nairobi. I forget your name but I remember you play ultimate and worked with coupons. Oh, yeah, and you're older than you look, something like 34?"

I am, in fact, 34. Kyle, who's maybe a bit too much into trivia, is also an intern at ICTR. So I've been hanging out quite a bit with all the interns. (And today, I went with Andre to watch some of the testimony of Dr. Casimir Bizimungu, the former Health Minister of the Interim Government, as far as I know the first genocidaire I've ever seen in person.)

Yesterday, I was in the office yesterday of the Tanzanian Tourist Board when a guy walked in wearing a shirt that said "Da Burgh". I said "I'm from the (Pitts-)Burgh." He bought the shirt in Kenya or something, but he and his wife did just move to Pittsburgh.

Then, at dinner last night with the interns, we're talking about random people coincidences. I tell about seeing this guy. The intern across from me said "I'm from Pittsburgh." Usually that means somewhere in some town in southwestern PA, but in this case it meant that she lived maybe 150 yards away. We went to the same high school, just 10 years apart.

I came to Arusha to try arrange a trip to climb Mt. Kilimanjaro. It's really hard to do research here because _everyone_ wants to give you information. For example, the Tourist Board found me a group leaving tomorrow through Shidolya Tours. And when I got to the Shidolya office (right at the Arusha International Conference Center, same place as the ICTR, so I ran into Nushin in the lobby) there were 3 guides from competing tour companies in their lobby trying to
steal me away.

I wound up joining the group. Which is I think two other climbers, plus guide and cook and porters. The woman said the others speak good English so she thinks they might be Australian, or maybe English, but that's all I know about them. In any case, tomorrow morning at 8am I'm leaving to climb Mt Kilimanjaro! We're doing the Marangu route, which isn't my first choice but I didn't want to keep looking for a group and working with all the companies (and street touts.)

Two posts today, but definitely no more for the next 6 days, 5 nights!

_sg

3 comments:

Mandy said...

hey seth,

you won't read this till you've already conquered kilimanjaro. that's pretty cool. my students enjoyed your photos of australia. they wondered how you took the photo of the walking trail without actually going on the walking trail. tomorrow is the last day of school and since you won't read this until after then, they might pass some sleepless nights until i see them next fall. :P we were also amused with the bullfrog etched into the side of the rock.

i was highly amused by your post about spelling errors. glad you can get a good chuckle out of those. take care. climb well.

mandy and the wineberg men

Anonymous said...

Good luck on the mountain!!!
~Lisa G

SethG said...

I've already conquered kilimanjaro--I'm sure your students will be pleased. But I'm not sure which walking trail photo they're talking about...?