Wednesday, March 07, 2007

The one where I wrote a lot

So here's one way to catch up on my blog entries: I've temporarily unretired to, last week and this, coordinate the Basics of Community-Based Family Planning and Program Design, Monitoring and Evaluation Workshop. Paige is one of the facilitators and the host; I am her errand boy.

I’m sitting in on some of it—especially the Design, Monitoring and Evaluation part. Otherwise, I work with the hotel to make sure lunch is on time, track down missing luggage at the airport, arrange cars and drivers for our site visit, find and remove the cricket that’s chirping in a box in the corner, provide general organizational and technical support (i.e., collate papers and plug in the lcd projector), and schmooze a bit with some of the participants. (Inside note: including Ophelia '07.) In other words, I spend most of my time sitting outside, reading. And, when I can borrow Paige's computer, playing solitaire, trying to fix a problem with her network card, and—and here’s where this is going—writing stuff to upload later.

(And, last week, I helped the hotel security team catch a suspected thief who tried to join the conference under false pretenses. This man is no longer welcome at the Hotel Africana.)

So, New Zealand! Yeah, I hope my notes were good, because this stuff happened two or three months ago. But I had a fantastic time in New Zealand, and feel kinda guilty about not telling you about it. I’m sure I won’t do it justice, but I know that all (six) of you reading this will forgive me. The New Zealand posts are as follows (in the order they happened):

Adventure day in Rotorua (posted earlier)
Tongariro Crossing (posted earlier)
Wellington-Picton Ferry
Abel Tasman National Park
Lake Matheson and Fox Glacier
Benjamin and Elianna
Queenstown (posted earlier)
The trip through the South

Also loaded today:
Lake Mburo
A contest
Driving in Kampala
Wreading and Writing

Sorry to dump this on you all at once, especially because some of them are really really long... Soon to come: Rafting on the Nile…Twice.

ia,
sg

2 comments:

Dad said...

Wow! All of these entries were great reading. I enjoyed every one a lot. Mom and I liked Nelson too, and our visit to Abel Tasman, but I wish we had more time to explore it as you did. Same with the southern part of the South Island. Paul Zimmerman had some interesting comments in his SI.com column this week on NZ; his favorite part is 90 Mile Beach at the tip of the North Island. Uganda sounds very interesting, but I didn't think you would have to go that far to find honest ( or semi-honest) work as a crack hotel security agent/ concierge. I have great envy for all of the reading time you have been able to squeeze between hiking into mud up to your wazoo, hiking up cliffs, crapping in a scenic outlook, rowing and rowing, and other memorable athletic/ idle pursuits. The pictures are very good, and I think I enjoy your linguistic commentary, quotes, long words and other musings, etc. - I say think because I will have to consult Webster's to make sure some of your words are real, and not the suspect collections of letters you have tried to pass off for unreal scores in our traditional family combination Scrabble games/ knife fights. Its also interesting to hear that "our people" have spread the faith into Southern NZ; have you found the Chabad House in Kampala? Keep up the blog entries, and continue to have a great time. All my love, Pops

Susie said...

I'm so excited to finally read about the adventures, but have to say, I really don't understand your vocabulary or math skills in some of the reading blogs. So, nothing's changed. Keep on keeping us posted. All is well here....love you
snu