Saturday, December 16, 2006

The one where I am alive and well

Hey, sorry for the dearth of posts. I've been busy, and it's been good.

I'm now in Queenstown, New Zealand, but very briefly. Tomorrow morning I leave for a 10-day hiking tour, starting here and ending in Christchurch:

This safari takes you to areas of New Zealand seldom visited by other travellers. It starts with 4 days hiking and kayaking in Fiordland National Park. We then head to the Catlins, famous for its beautiful beaches and abundant wildlife - Hector's dolphins, New Zealand sea lions and yellow-eyed penguins. The Dunstan Trail is an old goldmining route that takes us across the Central Otago plateau. Then it's on to the Mount Cook region to view our highest mountain. In South Canterbury we hike to an old musterer's hut.

I'm scheduled to head to Sydney very shortly thereafter. Hey, by the way, HELP! Do any of you know anyone in Sydney on whose floor or sofa I might sleep for a couple of days...? Say, any time period between Dec 28 and Jan 5 or so? That would kinda help me a lot right now...

When I get a chance, I've got some posts to write, though it might be a coupla weeks before you actually see them. But I've got good notes and lots of pictures:
- Staying in a hostel
- Abel Tasman Park kayaking and hiking and boat sleeping
- Glacier hiking
- The coolest place I've ever been, and how I wound up there with a real cutie and Truesdale's roommate

Unfortunately, that's all for now. (But I'm serious about needing a place in Sydney...)

Happy (C)han(n)uk(k)a(h) all. And, if I don't get a chance to talk to you before then, have a Merry Christmas, a Joyous Kwanzaa, and, most importantly, a Happy Festivus!

-sg

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seth, Minneapolis is nothing without you here! Winter break has lost its meaning... The only good news is that I just got some excellent pictures back from the Henn House party where we were all wearing wigs. Remember, a couple years ago? I'll send them to you.

My friend Sarah Knox is from Sydney but she's in DC these days. I'll try to get in touch with her though. Sounds like you are having quite the travels. :)

Anonymous said...

Another post from moi... Seth, you are so lucky you are not in Minneapolis right now. Yesterday in the car my mom told me she had decided she was going to invite you over for christmas eve dinner. She also invited some people she just met last week, oh, and the oven is broken so we will be without the usual overcooked food--in fact there may be no food at all. She has festooned the house with 9 fake christmas trees, including two that are pink and one purple one. She was so uncertain about these purchases (duh) that she left the tags on the trees. For christmas I am absolutely convinced that I am going to get the "Ole! Quesadilla Maker" that I saw in the closet. I reminded her that you are in New Zealand and probably couldn't make it. Consider yourself very lucky!

Anonymous said...

Seth-
Glad to hear you are alive and well. We still miss you here at Marx, but I'm glad to see you're having such a good time. I finally got a chance to read all your blog posts and see some of your pictures.
Happy Holidays and I hope you have a wonderful New Year! Looking forward to seeing if you can get any good pictures of the fireworks :)
Take care,
Lisa G