Sunday, April 01, 2007

The one where it's coming together

So one of the things I've been trying to figure out is what I'll do when my trip is over. Now, finally, I've got plans. (You know I love it when those come together...)

A few of you know that before I left I, because there clearly wasn't enough going on already in my life, spent my last week frantically scraping my act together to finally get people to write me some recommendations for graduate schools. Then, I spent much of my early time in Australia finalizing my applications. The results are in, and I've accepted an offer!

For a while I've been fascinated by the Metaphysical (and meta-Metaphysical) ideals of the pre- (and post-) Aristotelian Utopia(s), but I had a hard time understanding how to apply my ideas to my work and my life in any meaningful way. Well, starting this fall (late September...) I'll be attending the brand new program in Metabusiness at Harvard Business School! That's right, I'm moving to Boston!

And I'm super-excited about it. I'll surely miss Minnesota, but for now at least my intention is to come back at the end of the program. (Probably just the Masters to start, so just 2-3 years, though who knows what'll happen once I really get into it...) Robin's sister, the fool, agreed to live in my house while I'm gone, once Bridget and George go off ...wherever... for his program. Soon, my debt status will approach Andrea's!

In other, less exciting, news, I'm taking off tomorrow on a trip through southwestern and western Uganda, starting down by Lake Bunyonyi and hopefully ending up in a week or two or three at Murchison Falls. Then, I'll head back through Kampala to plan a more extensive eastern swing through eastern Uganda, Kenya, Tanzania, and maybe Burundi (if it's safe) and Rwanda. I'm not sure how the timing will work out--there's probably a pretty good chance I'll wind up extending my Africa trip, especially as I don't really need to be back now until September.

And, finally, there's no coherent story they tell but there are lots of Kampala pictures up for mom.

Chao!
sg

1 comment:

Theresa said...

Yay! Minneapolis is so five minutes ago. Except you're heading in the wrong direction - but, for very good reason. Congratulations!! Now I'm going to go look up "metabusiness"...