Friday, December 01, 2006

The one where I swooped

And zorbed. And flew. And rode in a really fast boat.

So, New Zealand. I wound up not renting a car. It'd probably be easier, but
- the economic advantages are less clear when travelling alone
- I signed up for a tour that will cover basically my last 10 days here. This would have shortened the rental period (higher rates) and changed the drop off location from Christchurch to Queenstown (extremely higher rates). Instead, I've got a bus pass for something like 50 hours of travel.

After Auckland I went north up to Paihia. From there, I took a full day bus tour up to Cape Reinga (essentially the tip of the island). It's where the Tasman Sea meets the Pacific ocean. Which would have been neat, but it was pouring rain and really windy while we were there so we couldn't see much. We got there by driving the tour bus a significant distance along the Ninety Mile Beach, a 55 mile long beach on the north western coast. That was neat. We also stopped at gift shops and stuff, which was not so neat. I think it'll be the last of my group-on-a-bus tours, especially if I don't go with a friend.

After I left I came down to Rotorua. In the morning, walking into town, I came across a farmers market with a stand selling really cheap Roti with Chicken curry. I went, then went back twice. As I left the market I entered a park--apparently Rotorua is one of the big areas of thermal activity, cause there were bunches of thermal pools in the park, some really hot and roped off and some more suitable for human contact.

But I really came to Rotorua to see the Agrodome, a working sheep farm/agricultural expo/adventure experience site. Really.

I was gonna zorb, but I ran into Diane and Hannah (from Wales and England, or maybe the other way), who convinced me to do it all.

- I swooped. That is, I got into a hang gliding harness, had a crane lift me up to 130 feet, then pulled a ripcord and swung like a pendulum.
- I flew. That is, I was lifted in the air by a giant wind tunnel blowing me up at 110 mph.
- I agrojetted. That is, I rode in a 450-horsepower, jet-propelled 13-foot Race Boat that went from 0 to 60 in 4.5 seconds on a small, man made course.
- And I zorbed. That is, I rode down a zig-zag hill inside what is essentially a 10 foot tall padded water balloon.

And it was good.

Rotorua pictures are up.

Joy,
sg

1 comment:

Susie said...

I'm beyond jealous. This looks like such an amazing trip so far. More to come!