Thursday, April 24, 2008

The one that's seriously off-topic

To continue a discussion started elsewhere...

TV Themes
Someone I trust more than myself said the theme to Sanford & Son is the best TV theme ever. (Or this version...)

Others on my good list include Barney Miller, M*A*S*H, Fame, The Banana Splits Adventure Hour, The Muppet Show, and All in the Family.

(Update: How could I possibly have forgotten Fraggle Rock?!?)

The bad list includes Small Wonder (though maybe it's just that the show was so bad), anything by Alan Thicke or Sherwood Schwartz, and something called Cleopatra 2525.

Worst song lyric phrasing ever
"Electrically they keep a baseball score", from Sonny & Cher's "The Beat Goes On".

Second worst is a tie between "there ain't no one for to give you no pain" and "there were plants, and birds, and rocks, and things", both from America's "Horse With No Name".

Single unexplainable word in a song
The second 'I' in Simon & Garfunkel's "Cecilia": "I fall on the floor and I laughing".

Random rhyme in a song
The Turtles.

So happy together
How is the weather
So happy together
We're happy together
So happy together
Happy together
So happy together
So happy together (ba-ba-ba-ba ba-ba-ba-ba)
Most random title of a well-known popular song
Rainy Day Women #12 & 35. Definitely.

Maybe more later,
sg

5 comments:

Rex Parker said...

oh the Banana Splits theme is Good. Liz Phair does a great version.

rp

PuzzleGirl said...

Hi, Seth. I'm going to do a Top Ten Best TV Theme Songs on my blog, but I wanted to comment here too. Totally agree with your worst lyrics contenders. And here's the one that's always bugged the crap out of me. From Van Halen's "Why Can't This Be Love": "Only time will tell if we stand the test of time." Um, what??

SethG said...

The Liz Phair version Rex mentioned is this one, and I totally agree.

sometallskinnykid said...

12 * 35 = 420

SethG said...

The song came out in '66. "420" was coined in '71.

White squirrels and waterfalls.