Sunday, July 13, 2008

The one on Saturday

Phil's visiting his mom, so I got to hang out with Paige all day.

We started early. The Lifetime Fitness Triathlon, with a $250K prize pool, takes place about a mile from my house. The pros started at 7am, so Sarah W came by around 6:45 and the three of us headed over.

Didn't make it quite for the start, but wow are those people fast. The pros race Olympic distance, which is 1.5K swim (just under a mile, under 20 minutes), 40K bike (~25mi, a bit over an hour), 10K (6.2mi, a bit over 1/2 hour) run. And the fastest men do it in about 1:48; the fastest woman in 1:58.

We watched the pros finish their swims and run off to transition, then headed over to watch some more normal people start, then the transition area for the pro bike to run, then watched men and women at the half-way point of the run, then finally over to the finish line. (We weren't actually going around too far--all that we watched took place in a fairly small area, with each race segment leaving from and then finishing back near the same point).

I think someone said there were 10? Olympians competing? Anyway, it was pretty exciting, and I'll do what I can to convince cousin Deb to come out to run it next year. (That's a LOT more likely than me running it...ever.) I'll maybe post my pictures soon.

A bit before 10 we left to head over to Firefly for some breakfast and cribbage, after which Sarah went to work while Paige and I went to play some more.

Afternoon, we headed over to the Richfield public pool. We read, lied in the sun, maybe laid in the sun if I have the wrong transitive case, played in the pool, Paige swam laps while I went down the big slides. It's kinda expensive to get in , but it was a pretty big place so there was room to not be anywhere near teenagers, and it was a really nice day.

We finished at the pool and went to Edina to buy cute pregnancy jeans. Paige is Very pregnant, but these are a gift for her also pregnant sister. Her pregnant sister-in-law can buy her own damn jeans, or maybe can just borrow from her was-pregnant-now-has-toddler other sister-in-law. Lotsa new grandkids for the Andersons!

Finally, we went to see Iron Man at the $2, which is now apparently a $3 theater. I liked it.

Thanks Paige!

More crossword and other news soon, in the meantime I'll try to keep this updated more often.
Hasta,
sg

No comments: