Wednesday, May 23, 2007

The one where I'm dreamy

Yeah I am!

(Though that might be more a side effect of my malarial pills than a judgement about any particular qualities I might have.)

21 May 2007, 12:41 am, Mombasa, Kenya
The Dream:

I'm flying somewhere. The plane has some problems, but I wasn't scared. We come in to land but touch down briefly and take off again. The sign says we'll be landing in 342 minutes. Everyone groans. Changes to 40 minutes. Then 6 minutes.

As we approach again, I overhear the flight attendant ask if we'd lose power again. Sure enough, the power goes off as we hit the landing tunnel. The cockpit disengages, the main body lands fine. I'm immediately in Rik's car on my way into town (though we're actually on the Parkway going the other way past downtown Pittsburgh). We see the cockpit fly past, flip over and crash just ahead of us.

I should call my parents and sister to tell them I'm safely off the plane. Mom first, turns out she and Snu are at dad's office. I tell them to wait there and head to the office. Dad, the only one there, is on the phone, helping arrange a job for me. He asks if I'd be willing to teach temporarily, I tell him I'll try out anything as long as its temporary.

While he's on the phone I wander over to Lewis Taffer's office down the hall, maybe to ask him about a possible job? While waiting outside, 'cause he's in a meeting, I glance out and seek Kristie R smoking on the porch roof. She's wearing gray cords and a burgundy turtleneck, which seem very dowdy.

The door opens, a guy comes out of LT's office. Turns out, the meeting was about a crossword newsletter and competition for July. Lew points out (I hear--I only see the anonymous guy) that the guy should remember to include that there were three perfect scores on puzzle A3, including two from the people that tied for 1st, and a perfect A2 from the 2nd place guy, in the last competition.
I wake up.

Some notes: The last time I actually saw (or had any direct communication with) Lew Taffer, a high school(?) friend of my dad's, was maybe in 1991 when I was in NJ for my cousin's wedding. The office was dad's, though the suite it was in and the smoking area on the roof weren't his. I met Kristie one day last week, and I never saw her smoke and she seemed fairly stylish.


23 May 2007, 3:15 am, Dar Es Salaam, Tanzania
The Dream:

I need to run home from work 'cause I forgot something. The home: 505 S. Linden, but it's mine. I drive past Sarah and Dave on my way and wonder if they'll ever stop by to see the house. When I get out of the car in the driveway, they're standing there, having passed while walking their dog, who doesn't seem to be around.

I explain that I'd love to show them the house at some point, but I only had a minute and had to rush back to work. Russ walks by. We all talk for a minute. I say I gotta go, but if they wanted to help run my errand they could at least sneak a peek inside: turns out, a bed and mattress for Snu had been delivered and needed to be carried inside. Don grabs the bed, Sarah the mattress, I go to unlock the door, Russ follows along.

Turns out, the front door is unlocked. Sarah looks around, sits at the piano, and comments that the house is in a style called "standard" rather than the "pre-modern" or whatever that I thought I had. I usher them out, but it seems like someone left the radio on in the kitchen. I go in, and the back door is standing wide open. The radio on the wall is BLARING a Monday Night Football game. There's a lot of crowd noise and Al Michaels is giving Dan Marino's stats from the game

I start to leave with Sarah and Dave. Russ seems to have wandered off upstairs, but I'm just gonna leave him wander as I need to get back to work.
I wake up. And as I'm waking up, I think that if George is looking for projects to work on around my actual house to work off some more rent, and if Bridget and TY think that it's a good idea, if he hasn't put in glass block to replace the basement window at the foot of the stairs, when he does that he can also use glass block or something like it to replace the doggie door in the wall of the kitchen.

Some notes: I actually lived in that house, which is in Pittsburgh, from when I was 10 'til I left for college; my parents moved out about 10 years ago. The radio on the wall in the kitchen is the only detail that's different than it actually was. Sarah and Dave are friends from college--in the dream they lived a couple of doors down in the house where I babysat once or twice. They actually do live around the corner from where my parents do now, and I spent some time with them in Sydney in February. Russ is a friend of mine in Minneapolis, a former (and future?) teammate. He doesn't know Sarah or Dave. Snu is my sister. Dan Marino is from Pittsburgh but I don't think we've ever met. He quarterbacked the Miami Dolphins from 1983 'til 1999 and appeared in glove commercials. George and Bridget are living in my house while I'm gone, and TY's helping them decorate it and hopefully avoiding paint fumes.

My other thought as I woke up was that this dream seemed much more innocuous than the first one and that I hope that doesn't lead Susie to give me a much less informative meaning for that one.

Snu, go to town!
sg

No comments: