Thursday, February 15, 2007

The one where I flew safely

Ma and Pa,

I flew from Sydney to Bangkok to Dubai to Addis Ababa to Entebbe. I have arrived safely in Africa.

I didn't read much on the flight--the entertainment console at my seat for the first two legs offered more than 600 different options. Hundreds of films on demand, many in a host of different languages. I watched The Devil Wears Prada and The Departed and a coupla others (all in English). Hundreds of musical choices. Run DMC's Raising Hell? Had it. And hundreds more currents and classics. Prefer Mozart operas? There were three. Every Billboard #1 from the UK charts from 1952 til now? Yup. Audio books. Video games, some of which could be played against others on the plane. A flight status monitor. Cameras with live feeds looking forwards and down. You can make phone calls, including to passengers in other seats.

Okay, that may sound like an airline press release, but it was pretty impressive. And the food was edible, too.

Anyway, I just wanted to let you know I got here.

The Anderson Bowens say hi,
sg

4 comments:

Dad said...

Sounds quite unlike USAirways, on which you have to wrestle two TSA screeners, bribe a flight attendant, and kiss the copilot to get an extra 1 gram bag of pretzels. On what airline were you traveling? All's well here, except for brutal winter weather. Let us know about your African adventures, where you are, and where you will be going. Love, Dad

SethG said...

On Emirates Airlines. I'm guessing, mostly because I didn't have anything to declare so I didn't bother to go through customs here, that my Emirates flight out, in May, will be similarly pain-free.

Adventures: I've read on the veranda and gone to a dinner party.
Where: I'm at Paige & Phil's house.
Where: Soon, I'll have further plans.

sg

Unknown said...

Took a minute to figure out that Entebbe is in Uganda.

Arithmetists, and possibly an occasional savant polymath would note that the date 02/14/07 makes sense with the digits in the same order but with different mathematical operations inserted. Such a date would make an excellent and auspicious birthday. "Peter"

SethG said...

PRG,

Congrats on your first blog comment! 0+2+1+4+0=7 is indeed correct. But here we could say 14/02 = 07 as well.

Easy to remember, Bastille and Valentines, joining Jenny and Dakota Skye Freddie...

Excellent and auspicious indeed,
sg